Drives: X3M

Arrow Rumors: BMW Z2 Coming as RWD or AWD, i8 V8 Model Axed

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Rumors: BMW Z2 Coming as RWD or AWD, i8 V8 Model Axed
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW_Z2_AB.jpg
Views: 18637
Size:  33.7 KB

All auto manufacturer tries to keep new models they're working on a secret. Yet, there are cars virtually everyone knows about based on speculation or inside information. One of these cars is the BMW Z2 roadster. The Z4 has long abandoned the niche the BMW Z3 was once designed for. So it's only reasonable that BMW is looking to re-enter that niche again -- a small and pure roadster, affordable, light, fun. We've reported earlier about BMW working on a Z2 offering such a package. There was some silence on this car as of late, but now there's more information coming from Autobild.
According to this report, BMW is considering two drivetrain options for the Z2:
  • It could be either based on BMW's FWD platform called 'UKL' debuting in the new Mini in 2013 or
  • Share the underpinnings with the F2x coupe and convertible (next generation 1-series)

Both solutions have their pros and cons, says Autobild. A BMW Z2 based on the UKL platform could debut as early as 2014, but this would also mean that the Z2 would have to be AWD as FWD is out of the question for a small fun roadster coming from BMW. So you might think the logical choice is to share the F2x coupe and convertible platform. But this would add a significant delay to the Z2, resulting in a launch no earlier than 2016. The engine choice is way easier, BMW has just launched the new F20 inline-4 petrol engine, and the Z2 would be available with different versions of this motor, offering a range of 163hp to 272hp.

Next Gen Z4 (Z6?) / 2-series

Related to the final decisions and specifications of the Z2, Autobild also mentions that the next generation Z4 might move further upmarket. BMW is supposed to even consider renaming it to Z6, a rumor discussed for the E89 Z4 already. And while they're at it, BMW might also go with a new badge for the F2x coupe and convertible. Being the only F2x models to retain RWD in the long term, they might be called 2-series.

Name:  6H0P2406.jpg
Views: 12163
Size:  33.4 KB
BMW i8

And if all that wasn't enough, Autobild mentions that BMW axed an V8-version of the BMW i8 out of the blue. BMW insider Scott26 always denied BMW was looking into such a car as the idea of BMW i would frustrate using a big and 'thirsty' V8 engine. But I guess it doesn't matter any longer if BMW actually considered a V8 for the i8, they apparently don't do any more.

It should be clear by now that all this is speculation, and obviously so as we're still at least three years away from seeing the Z2 hitting the roads. But it's inevitable that BMW does need such a small roadster, and we can't wait to hear more news about it. Source: Autobild 17/2011, also available via iTunes.

Follow our BMW Z2 Coverage @ http://www.bimmerpost.com/z2/

Appreciate 0