04-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #11
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I dunno my way around an engine, so please help me out. Most of the time I notice that my engine oil level is at MAX but on some rare occasions it drops to a bit below MAX but then on my next drive it goes back to MAX. I've heard of some of our cars burning oil, having leaks, and maybe I had that prb before w the oil filter housing but I fixed that long ago, so overall I never had any real issues re the oil level.

However, I recently saw that my level is now between MIN and MAX, so I'm losing oil somehow, either by it burning or a mild leak? My tech said just to put in 500ml if it goes below MIN. I'm not due anytime soon for an oil change, so what's your advice?

I'm using Liqui-Moly 5W40, so do I have to buy exactly that or any 5W40 oil will do? Is it as simple as just waiting for a cool engine, opening the cap, putting a funnel and pouring the 500ml in? TIA.
So you're losing oil. You're correct, it could be you're burning it or there's a leak. If it's not down to MIN, I wouldn't obsess over it but if you lose a full quart between oil changes I'd have it looked at. None of my BMW's have ever consumed that much oil.

You can easily check for leaks. The one you really want to watch for is the oil filter housing (OFH). It's on the front of the engine and is a known problem area. When it leaks, oil will run down the front of the engine and destroy the serpentine belt at which point really bad things can happen. Oil pan and main seal leaks are easier to check from underneath the car.

But to be clear, I've had leaks at the OFH and at the oil pan and the leaks weren't significant enough to cause low oil warnings.

If it gets near MIN, just add oil. Use what you normally use. The owner's manual gives you options. Preferred oils will meet BMW spec LL01 or LL01FE.

To add it, just pour it in. If the oil level is at MIN, 1 US quart/1 liter should bring it up to MAX. Don't overfill - adding 500 ml is acceptable.

Gerry