RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Core M runs around 1.1 base and will turbo boost to almost 2.4
The problem will be heat as it has no CPU fan running on Intel's latest 14nm architecture.
It is about the same speed as an i3 but in a smaller package.
That 1299.99$ you will be getting the equivalent of a net book with a fancy screen .
Well yes, that's true. Since you mentioned it I looked it up and the best M chip available can actually boost to 2.9GHz. But for the OP's reference, that is NOT the same as an i3 chip that idles at 2.9GHz so buyer beware. With no fans on this Apple, and how people tend to plop down and put their laptop on a pillow or something, temperature is going to be an issue. This chip will likely only begin to "boost" up speeds if it's plugged in and at optimal temperatures. And I for one would be very interested to see some data that shows how much and how often Intel Turbo Boost actually kicks in, considering it's only made to kick in when you already hit the base limits of the chip, which by definition, and physics, will always been when it's running hotter. I think at best these are very short bursts of speed. Intel is not stupid; they are not going to overclock their own chips to the point of failure.

The take away, from my opinion; view the intel boost speed limit with a huge grain of salt. In the real world it will almost never hit that speed, and if it did occasionally, it would be very brief.
Appreciate 0