View Single Post
      12-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #44
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
I understand your point about warranty, but I think the 35is is tuned in a different way than you think!

Tranny tuning? Are you sure? I think the most important question is: Is your 35is able to hold revs without upshifting automatically in M-mode? I assume not? I think this feature is only available with M dct cars?

Suspension tuning? Isnt it just that they offer beautiful 19" wheels with less grip and less comfort than the 18"? Or maybe the tuning mentioned is specific to the adaptive suspension?

Additional oil coolers? My 35i already has the aux oil cooler! I would imagine the 1M has better cooling, but the 35is?

I do believe the 35is has a tuned steering (different filter characteristics) to let more feedback/vibrations pass though! And if we forget about the warranty discussion, in my book this is the biggest possible technical advantage of the 35is vs a tuned 35i.

I stand corrected, you are correct about the oiler coolers. I just did some research on realoem.com and the only notable differences besides the obvious body and interior aesthetics are exhaust, and brakes. I think i read some where the IS was also 10mm lower but I could be mistaken. There seams to be a slot of misleading articles and posts on the web.

Anyways I agree the biggest advantage is the warranty. If I was in the market for a used car and warranty wasn't a concern I would probably go with the 35i m sport package w/ tune and aftermarket parts.

But unfortunately I need a payment for tax issues and already had my fill with a built up car with no warranty. I love my supercharged 3 series but she can be a headache at times. Its nice to have something in same area of power/speed with warranty. I feel more comfortable taking the Z4 to a track day knowing that if something happens ill have warranty and a loaner car waiting for me.
Appreciate 0