07-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y View Post
"normal" air is already 78% nitrogen, and they damned sure aren't creating a vacuum to pull out all that air before replacing it with nitrogen when they do pump it in.

That's the difference there. The pressures/temps/etc are variable, and atmospheric oxygen (the air we breathe at 78% nitrogen) will react differently than pure nitrogen in the same situation.

Nitrogen will expand less when it gets hot, so in theory, the ride could be better as the tire pressure will increase when the tires get hot (this is why you always check the tires when they're cold). The ONLY times I've seen this beneficial were in racing applications. There are some in the commercial trucking business and RV communities who also swear by it, but on a "normal" passenger vehicle? Well, if they're gonna do it for free, sure, but I'm not interested in paying anything extra for it.
Agreed.

I guess the operative word I should have used was "pure" Nitrogen. . . Not to mention the normal monthly (or more often) pressure monitoring and refill. Particularly difficult or troublesome if you don't keep a pressurize tank of Nitrogen in your garage. What about when you're on the road. . .

Not to ding BMWAdvisor, bc I'm sure people are legitimately looking for any benefit/advantage they can get, and that's OK.

But the whole nitrogen in your tires thing reminds me of the dealer applied "undercoating" scam, which unforunately, I fell for years ago when I bought my first new car. I actually fell for it bc I was taking my vehicular into a harsher winter climate (road salt). Upon picking up the new vehicle from the dealer I crawled under it to look at the freshly applied "undercoating". I was dismayed to observe the dealer had applied Henry's roofing tar with a garden variety pesticide sprayer.

It's like anything else, just about anything which could have a legit purpose or function, always seems to fall into the hands of someone willing to sell it out of context to a naive stooge (like me) that will soon part with his money.
Appreciate 0