07-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
The BMW twin turbo engine, code named N54, is a fantastic piece of machinery, equal in many ways to the best BMW M engines. But it does place high demands on its lubricating oil. The little turbos, which are both cooled and lubricated by the oil, can reach speeds of 200,000 rpm and operate in an environment that reaches 1050 C or 1900 F. The performance of any oil is going to deteriorate the longer you run it in the engine, and it may deteriorate a lot faster in the N54. That's why I'd recommend changing the oil more frequently than dictated by the BMW computer. Around 5000-7500 miles would be a start.

Hope this helps.
Think maybe you should qualify this a little more closely so people know what you're thinking.
  • You're suggesting splitting in half BMW's scheduled maintenance program. What about various climate zones, and different driving styles?
  • Also, there's plenty of BMW's for sale that are a few years old and have only a few thousand miles. What about their schedules?
  • Here's another consideration: My sense is that BMW honestly believes their schedule is adequate for most people's situations. Even with the typical 4 year 50,000 mile cycle, I think BMW has more $'s to lose than the cost of a free oil change as compared to major engine repair at BMW expense.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0