03-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #62
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Not true. BMW has been creating new segments for years now. When the X5 came out everyone was poking against BMW for losing its roots. People associate 4x4 boxes on wheels to remain in the woods and mud. The X5 however jumpstarted a new segment - Premium SUVs. Rover was the first to market back in the 80s, but they fail to execute successfully.
A question no one asked.

Quote:
Then there's the X6 (I hate it btw), despite a useless in my mind design, it too also created another segment that other brands never thought of. Now we have the GLC, Acura variant, Lexus clones etc.
Useless.

Quote:
Then there's the X1.... that small petite premium SUV market for those that want to spend the money on a high end SUV but don't want the size. Those urban yuppie outdoorsy folks. BMW is already on its 2nd iteration while Audi, MB, Lexus and the likes are waking up.
Useless.

Quote:
If you dig back further, the 3-series was also created for a market that had no idea that they needed a sporty premium compact.

Sometimes to be successful companies have to create market and own that market. Create that lifestyle desire that taps into the human psyche and watch the money come in.

I do pity the dealerships and salespersons. Imagine having to memorize all the products! Carrying a wide selection of these 40+ models in a limited floor space would be a challenge.... let alone moving inventories.
Most of these cars are now variants of what already exists. There is a 3 series sedan, coupe, hatch, wagon and SUV (all with different names) and a slightly larger and smaller version of the same thing.
Appreciate 0