View Single Post
      09-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #42
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Oh no, not this debate again. Nobody's ever claimed DCT isn't quicker than MT. Nobody's (hopefully) ever claimed DCT isn't technically superior to MT. But some of us don't measure things in just raw speed. For some of us the latest isn't automatically the greatest.

Let's say next year BMW comes up with a steering system that drives the corners for you. It always uses the optimal speed and driving line making you look like a driving god. You don't get a steering wheel, just paddles for left and right. It's easier, faster, and you lose less speed in corners. What's not to like? You'd be a luddite to still want a steering wheel, right? Or would you miss the control? The feeling that it's you who's driving the car?

I know I'm exaggerating, because such a system (impossible to make, I know) would not be comparable in terms of level of control to the DCT vs. MT issue. But I'm exaggerating to get my point across. No matter how great the DCT is, there is no denying that you will give up some control to a computer with it. Some of us don't mind it or feel that they get more than they give, but there's also the other camp.

Mentioning F1 in this context is a bit funny of course, because F1 has never been as boring as it is today. One could argue that because the cars are so technically advanced, driver skills do not play such a big role anymore. In the early days of turbocharged F1 cars with turbo lag and no traction control, nailing the corner exit separated the men from the boys. Sure, today's F1 car is a technological marvel, but I'd still rather watch the old school cars. At least they'd be racing.

Ok, rant over.
Appreciate 0