05-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
In the meantime, the iPod works flawlessly. Unclear why this sound system needs 6 separate input locations when it would work very well with the iPod, a single-disk CD slot, and the radio. Over-designed and under-performing.
I hear you. At least the iPod element is functional.

What do they say about the WWII German Panzer armored tank: an engineering marvel of its day, while others, particularly those who had to use it, would say it was over engineered, costly to build and maintain, and a nightmare to operate. The Germans (I'm half German, 1/2 Italian) have been accused from time to time of over-engineering when a simple approach was clearly visible. But the Germans take a lot of pride in their engineering ability.

Toyota's current nightmare not withstanding, I think that's why the Japanese have made their money - they find simple approach's and keep perfecting them to infinity. At the same time figure out how to continually reduce costs. A friend gave me a ride in his little hot rod Scion, which if memory serves was a tC (?). He turned on the stereo and the sound quality kicked my a**. I asked him what the upgrade cost was, because it clearly had a subwoofer, and he said it was the base unit. He said at the time he bought it the only upgrade was things like iPod and USB interface connections. Even then they were only a couple hundred total for everything!

Last edited by teagueAMX; 05-02-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0