View Single Post
      08-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #121
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Not sure I'm I'm quoting the above but my grandmother that just passed, God rest her soul, passed in 6mm in cash and a 2mm house which was purchased cash in Bermuda for 50k in 1970. She worked a lowly job as did my grandfather and saved every dime she could. She capitalized on inflated interest rates on Portuguese sovreign debt in the 70s, 80s and 90s. This is how I felt about her but in reality she was chasing the safety of financial independence. Ultimately she passed 2 months ago when she was forced to retire.

Moral is you save to not worry. A worry free life is a happy life. She had more then a cushion and her bills came in under $300 dollars per month living in Bermuda.
But do you really need money at all in life? Especially when you get old.....I have a friend who has just enough to pay his bills. He does want he likes for work, wife does what she likes, just recently son was born and they try to spend as much time with him as possible etc. Don't have any real estate, dont care about cars, don't care about money..... family and health is #1 and both you can't buy with money.

My dad retired with debt, lives better then me.....my mom retired with some cash and only ended up worrying how not to loose it (hasn't really spent anything)
Appreciate 0