04-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Paletero
Essentially Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Interesting medium for your assignment asking on a forum. I`m bored so here goes:

1.) What is your title, position, name of company, and how long have you been with the company?
Former Branch Manager, CIBC (Bank), 2 years (currently in a non-management role with a different company left CIBC on my own terms).

2.) Do you think management and leadership are the same?
No, but a good manager will have good leadership qualities. You can be a leader without being a manager.

3.) What do you think defines a good manager?
A good manager is a good leader. Good communication, empathy and transparency are key to maintain `buy-in`of the individuals you manage. You are there for the company that employs you (that shouldn't be a surprise) and to get the best out of your team. Knowing those people and how to get the best out of them involves many strategies, but sincerity in getting the best out of everyone and thus yourself will get you there.

4.) What do you think defines a good leader?
A good leader is someone who manages risk while having an appetite to take on a challenge and better whatever they are working toward. If that is profit or some other goal. Being a good leader is motivating those who work in your team to do their best to get to that common goal. Respect and communication will help you discover what needs to be done to get everyone on board (or off board).

5.) What do you think are the roles of a manager vs leader?
The difference to me is someone who purely evaluates the end performance of their team as a defined roll "versus" someone who leads the team toward success in a common goal without it necessarily being defined to them as their objective. Having said that, this is where "positions" in a company may blur my definition for a manager versus a 'team leader'.

6.) What are some issues your organization is having? Do you feel this can be solved with better management or leadership? Why?
I will not be specific to my organization because I think these challenges are widespread for all organizations. It's simple, the proper amount of reward and recognition is a constant battle. It doesn't always have to be a cost issue. Proper recognition of accomplishments and 'did wells' can go a long way. Finding the right people to buy into this mantra and commit to it regularly and consistently is the issue. That issue can be solved with tools in place to support this structure by all leaders at all levels.

7.) As a manager what is your role at the organization?
I manage my teams to deliver exceptional service while increasing profits for the shareholders of the company. In the end, my team and I fall into the group of shareholders as well as those who benefit from the financial success of the organisation.

8.) Do you feel you are not only a manager but a leader as well? Why?
I feel I am a leader as I am able to obtain the commitment for my team as we work toward a common goal.

9.) Do you believe managers and leaders are made or born?
Honestly, I think that's a terrible question. Certain qualities come from learning and gaining knowledge along the way. I hope from my answers you were able to derive some common trends and qualities. No one is "born with it"; management and leadership is not a Maybelline advertisement.

10.) Do think an organization can only operate with leaders or only managers? Why?
The line is blurred by organizations to define roles; that's why your question even exists! Leadership is a quality of a good manager (among other attributes). To answer the question every organization needs a good leader. Depending on the size and goals within a larger organization, certain objectives will need leaders heading the team focused on that goal or objective. Define that leader how you want (manager, team lead, guru etc.).

11.) Tell me a little about your day to day challenges and your approaches to resolving them.
Motivating everyone to the common objective or goal. It's that simple. Everyone is different and thus is motivated in different ways. They have their own lives that in many different ways can affect how they work as an individual within the team, as well as how they work with the rest of the team. Consistent cohesiveness of everyone is always a challenge along with encouraging teams to get the best out of each individual person. My success has been through good communication, appropriate transparency, empathy and honesty. Coach and record, motivate and inspire. That's all.
Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0