Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
Absolutely agreed!

Why own it when it's going to cost you the same whether you buy outright in cash or lease (of course dependent on interest/money factor)? One is just a lot less riskier and if you want to take the risk of owning a depreciating asset.. do that when the lease is over, because now you have at least had 2-3 years to figure out what it's worth to the market and whether it's worth keeping.

On the lease:
- You are penalized for every extra mile. Be careful how you spend your miles or your math will go down the pipe. Yeah, no Freedom.
- You will be dinged for damage when the lease is up and you have to return it to the dealer. “Wear and tear" is a term that is very flexible in dealer’s eyes
- Your payment is usually a lot bigger than financing. Wonder why?
- You do pay interest, while financing has a lower interest rate than lease, sometimes is 1% or even zero. Put the money towards the house and use manufacturer’s money.
- If you think you are smart and the manufacturer is stupid think again.
- While you paid to drive a vehicle which you don't own, after the same period of time I own my vehicle. After 4 years you walk, I drive. You have nothing; I do have some money in there. You need to re-lease to drive, I only need to decide if I keep it or not, but I am not forced to have new payments. You never know, life is a funny thing...
- We own a "depreciating asset". Funny, you just paid the depreciation for something you don't own.
- if during the lase you decided to ditch it, you just paid the depreciation and you paid interest too.
- If you like it and want to keep it, well you paid more than the finance guy.
- Today there is no such thing like vehicle "prone to breaking". There are owners and owners though. And there is mass media brainwash that feeds you that. If you are respectful with your vehicle and take care of it, you will have a good vehicle. Period. I had vehicles that were considered unreliable yet, they proved to be good vehicles.
- If you buy your vehicle cash and keep it in good shape you might end up with a pretty nice deal overall. Also if you keep the vehicle in a good shape you will get a nice percentage back. I always sell my vehicle for more than market, but always sell because they are in an absolute perfect condition.
- That will also eliminate the “won’t sell factor’. A well maintained and good vehicle always sells.

If you can write it down the payments, yeah, lease might work, but even then make sure that you end up better. Writing it down does not mean more personal revenue after you look under the bottom line.
If the payments can be deducted (unlikely for sport/exotics/expensive cars - government gives you a bottom line), and looks better than finance, then yes Lease is better.

Lease might work for some but make no sense for many. Depends on each case.
Having generic conclusions based solely on your situation is just wrong.

Enjoy your car!

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-12-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0