View Single Post
      10-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #127
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Audis continue to understeer at the limit, even RS versions. I'm glad they got a good review for the RS3, but every time they take out a RS eventually you'll see a more in depth review that shows what is evident: FWD based platforms with bad weight distribution will end up understeering.

Thanks for mentioning the R8. This is not an Audi development. I am well aware that in order to get proper sport car characteristics they did a 90/10 split, so the 'AWD' in that platform is basically marketing baloney
[Some] Audi RS do not understeer at the limit any more than any other car in spite of its bad weight distribution, IF driven in the proper manner as I stated above. If you don't believe me, then you should believe Randy Pobst who is a professional race car driver. Here's what he said about the RS5:

"The R8 should be half this good! This car is fantastic. I adore it. It does such a great job utilizing all-wheel-drive traction off the corner, with zero push. You just drive in there and you think it's too early, but you just floor it and you're like, man, I should've gotten on the gas sooner. And no push, no oversteer -- it just drives right out of there, beautifully carving an exit line, using all the power. The gearbox is also very friendly. I just got more confident with carrying speed in and trusting the grip."

Yes a lot of journalists complain about understeer but that's because most journalists aren't pro drivers and don't understand that dive-bombing corners is not the fastest way around a track (and neither is big dramatic drifts - as fun as they are). The Nissan GTR has FAR FAR more understeer than an Audi RS5.

If you're well aware that the R8 has 90/10 torque split then I'd hope that you're also aware that when traction is diminished that the AWD system can adjust the split to the front wheels so that traction loss is minimized without having to cut power like BMWs DSC does.
Appreciate 0