View Single Post
      01-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #60
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

I feel like we keep going back and forth. I dont know why.

The exhaust and the tuning is different between the 2 models. Look up realm.com. They are clearly different. Another member even switched
his 35i exhaust to an is.

When you speak of over boost are you thinking the 35is only has 300hp and the extra hp is only during over boost?

Once again the point I am making is that the tune(both stock and ess) for the 35is has more power in general for a longer time. The 35i makes less hp and torque through out the powerband. I mean look at the dynos from ESS. Its pretty clear. The 35is makes more power and sooner then the 35i. I don't know why you keep fighting the fact. Both dynos are posted on their website.

The are the same engine, yes. But the exhaust and tuning make a big difference of how and when the hp and torque are produced.

You say the exhaust sounds better. It sounds better because there is more flow, and for a forced induction set up the more flow the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
No it is the same tune on the same engine. You cannot run higher boost on the 35is because the turbos are the same. Yes, there are differences between older and newer versions of the N54, and there is the overboost thing on the IS which I think is the real element of confusion here. If the over-boost function does what I think it does, and you only floor it occasionally, you don't really need ESS with your 35is. In my understanding ESS is almost like having over-boost all the time, at all RPMs. But of course they also tune other variables than just the boost.

Btw the 35is exhaust is no different from the 35i. It sounds better because they changed the internals of the muffler, but the pipes, cats and so on are the same. That is why I claim the essential hardware is the same.

So again, I do not believe ESS or anyone else has provided any data that can be used to directly compare ESS for 35i vs ESS for 35is. It is also hard to make such comparison because it would be two different cars with different mileage, build date, drive train losses etc etc etc...
Appreciate 0