12-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknickk View Post
I love the look of the new Z4, although that "movement" of the roof when folding back seemed to shake/shudder a little. This concerns me cause as a potential buyer some day, I wonder as to the durability of this folding roof mechanism. I have a Mazda mx5 with folding electric hardtop and there is no shudder etc. Just wondering as the parts seem to have close gaps and the exrtra movement concerns me if the roof parts touch each other and cause scratches.
I think the reason its shaking like that is because its completly unsupported while its in the folding action, but once its completly assembled it should be ultra stable. That center roof piece will act as a keystone and the forces will be coming in laterally and the roof should actually be extremly stable. The shakyness while standing on a hinge for a few seconds during the folding operation doesnt concern me at all since the hinges are only there to hold the center piece up while the rest of the roof folds, it doesnt really need to keep the center piece from shaking, etc.. just needs to hold it up is all.
Appreciate 0