tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Haha, no worries I know I've personally thought these things as well

As for the "front mid engined", I don't think it is completely a cop-out. There are actual benefits as compared to having the weight in front of the front axle

Have you read the interview of the M development team that is on the F80post forum?

Very interesting read that compares the difference between BMW M subsidiary and BMW AG parent company. Even for BMW M and the M3 there is still the need to compromise sport, usability, cost, efficiency, social perception, etc. I personally think that being an all out sports car manufacturer is just not part of BMW's strategy and we need to look outside the brand for that type of car.
Yes, of course 'front mid engine' is better than over the front axle or even further ahead haha. However, it still doesn't fool anyone into thinking that it's a good alternative to a real mid-engine setup.

No, I haven't read the interview, but ever since they started to 'M' their SUVs (or SAVs as they call it), I pretty much tuned out. Yes, virtually every new BMW model is more powerful than previous, but so is the weight, so it negates a lot of the power gains. M division definitely isn't what it used to be.

Agree that if one wants a truer sportscar they have to look elsewhere. In terms of philosophy, I'm definitely more Lotus than, say, Bentley (which is absolutely atrocious in my books). Porsche is still good, their newer models are more powerful yet somehow lighter in many instances (at least for Cayman, me thinks). However, I absolutely hate how they still keep neutering the Cayman (yes, even the GT4 is not fully realized) so the posers can still claim the 911 as their ultimate sportscar.
Appreciate 0