United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Exactly on the engine front. They just did it with the new M5, sounds like it will be more of the same with the next M3/4 (and probably M2 as well).

What is there to get excited about if the engine is basically the same for straight generations or ~14 years? Yikes.
Yup. Although inherently I'm not against further development of a platform as I will explain below.*
It's just that with the turbo trend, now it's almost as if they just turn up the boost a little bit and improve cooling and then match the HP figures of last year's Comp. model and call it a day. Sorry but that is just lazy engineering.

*Before anyone brings up the M88/S38 (which was used for over 2 decades), let me clear the air as to why M GmbH's original "big six" gets a pass.
1) History/Pedigree- A true motorsport engine developed from the M49 of the 3.0 CSL race car, later became the M88 and powered the BMW M1
2) Engineering- This engine defined the path for future Motorsport engines, featuring ITBs, natural aspiration, and an appetite for revs. BMW M continued to refine it with each new generation. Displacements increased from 3.5L to 3.6L and finally to 3.8L, power kept increasing and so did the redlines.
3) Tradition- there was a certain pride factor for BMW M and a cool factor for the customer that these engines were hand built in Germany by BMW Motorsport engineers.
4) Versatility- Pretty much all the M-cars from that era (until the E34) had some M88/S38 in them and for good reason: they made good power and good torque for daily driving but still maintained the "race-car" characteristics of its roots. The E30 M3 didn't share the engine, but shared the cylinder-head minus 2-cylinders.

So yeah, I can forgive BMW if they build upon and improve on an exciting and legendary engine, but it's hard to give them a pass on the generic stuff they're pumping out these days.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 4
6ixSpd6034.50
Viffermike1753.00
K-M390.50