02-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #92
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Perhaps, but a removal of what has been the traditional group of first-time home buyers would certainly have an impact on it, yes?

Bolded - exactly; I can look at my finances and know that I can't reasonably say that I would be able to be prepared for something like that. Rental costs might go up marginally from year-to-year, sure, but again, that is an entirely different ball game than suddenly needing to replace a roof.

As you pointed out, the topic at hand is a potential crash on the housing market, so I'll leave the rest of your reply be. My apologies if I came across as complaining.
I agree that people being stuck with high student loans will slow the housing market. I also agree with you that getting into a house when you can't afford the fixed/variable costs that come with it is a mistake and you don't want to get the house until you know it works out for you. Setting aside money for the roof or other emergency is critical.

I can understand the frustration with the system but if I were you I would focus on the short and long term goals. I think you will find that things slowly work out better than you expected.

For the other posts - I am in sales and have found that it pays pretty well for what I do. Not for everyone as my job involves a lot of travel which has its irritations. As pointed out above one of the issues is my pay is mostly commission so it can be great or horrible so you have to plan for the horrible.

I also think the most money is in business ownership but it also comes with big hassles and risks of failure that working for someone else doesn't have (risk/reward). If I get tired of my job I walk away or worst thing that can happen is I get fired. Own your own business and worst case is guaranteed to be more difficult/expensive.