ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I think what a lot of people in modern society (USA particularly) fail to understand is that we live in a capitalist economy. A capitalist economy only works based on "hard work" only at the absolute most basic level. In fact, I would argue that is simply a fallacy that the media wants you to think, to make things easier on the "owners" to keep you out of market control. That is, a stem field may get you a decent living, you may advance a certain bit but ultimately you are completely limited in the end until you become an "owner" of some sort. You have to figure out a way to conquer a market by either selling a product that people want or providing a service that people want at the "owner" level. At that point, waiting and hard work have ultimately 0 meaning... you will be a millionaire based on the fact that you control a market. If more people understood this, they wouldn't be as caught up as they are today working for corporations and so forth.
Do you feel a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

Being an owner takes risk. Many people don't want that type of risk. Hence, my comment about getting into a STEM field. Getting a solid job, working hard, move up, and accomplish tasks that separates themselves from others. Will they be a millionaire? Not in the better sense of the word. Will they be able to buy a house even in a HCOL area? Yes. Can they provide for a family? Yes.

Want to make a lot of money? Like you said... sell stuff. At the end of the day, a person who is really good at selling poop in a box will make more money than the engineer who designed the box.

Look at the salaries of Pharm reps/sales.

Look at how much real estate agents make.

However, commission based jobs are unstable. Make $500k/yr during a boom cycle and make nothing during a bust. Get caught up living like you make $500k, then that bust cycle is going to hurt like no other.

Business owners? Get one business... successful? Use it to leverage another one. Two successes? That's great, leverage to get another one. However, many people don't have that drive or may not care to worry about issues that accompany business ownership.

Some people have different goals and expectations of "enough". Some people don't have "enough" in their vocabulary when it comes to work.

$100k per year working 9-5 with benefits and no weekend work does appeal to people over making $200k trying to wheel and deal.

In closing - people need to figure out what they want in life and then try to build a path it.

I could do X, Y, and Z, however, I don't care enough about the things that "extra money" could provide me with.

Mastering contentment is quite the progression killer
I think these are valid points, for myself, I know exactly what my limit is on annual income, where I absolutely do not care past... however it is an amount that no STEM field under President / CEO level could provide. The amount of hard work that will require for someone is for imho significantly better working for myself. Granted if you are satisfied w 100k, then yes I agree, a normal job is probably a better, less stressful option... but I could never aspire to be like everyone else and do things the same way.