08-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #105
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javol View Post
I had missed this " thread"... Uffff! Be calm buddies .

My 2 cents: the Z4 E89 is not a sport car. I come from a Cayman S PDK and an M3 E92 DKG. My 35i, with adaptive suspension, is heavy, the handling is far from the best in class (boxster) as well as the steering response and brakes resistance.
At the track i switch to the 18" oem wheels with Pilot PS2, leaving at home the heavy Vossen CV3 20" showed in my signature.
Even with its stock wheels and very good tires, the zed is relatively slow in and out of the corners and essentially difficult to drive, suffering a strange and unexpected understeer probably related to the low rigidity of its chassis and its soft set up. BUT....
All these issues are really important in the daily (even if spirited) driving? Not soooooo much... For me.
The typical customer of the Zed will love its unique look, the fantastic torque of easily tunable turbo engines, the very low drive position and all the joys of the most stunning roadster in its class...
Exactly - who really cares about cornering speed? And is a Z4 really that much slower through corners than say a E93 M3 which is supposedly a "real" sports car?! I doubt it, and those track times I have seen confirm it.

What matters is going slow and sideways in my book. And for that reason I would prefer the 1M over the M3 and any mid- or rear-engined car. But then there is the problem with how it looks and doesnt let the roof come down.

The Z4 has the looks and the engine, its probably just missing that LSD...
Appreciate 0