11-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by night199uk View Post
When did you ask BMW? They have official retrofits now, but maybe not for iDrive cars. I've done too much reading about this now and I think they would have one for you. But the prices are stupid ($12k for me + $10k installation). Might be less if you already have a Combox with iDrive. Not sure.

BimmerTech and BimmerNav (on these forums) sell original BMW part installs of the Combox it seems but require manual installation unless I can find an installer that wants to take it on in Hong Kong. I got the install instructions from BimmerNav in the end - besides drilling a couple of small holes in the glovebox for mounting it looks reasonable from what I read so far. They do remote coding for the car. If I go this route I'm thinking to invest in an ICOM or K+DCAN anyway so I can code it myself.

Definitely not interested in FISCON or Parrot, I'm too anal about my car :-)
Thanks for the info... I approached BMW 9 months ago or so...
I will be calling the parts department tomorrow to see what they have for me.
What I know is my car is not pre-wired, so this will certainly add up some extra cost, but most importantly, it would mean that I will need a recoding...
I am not worried about warrantee, as my car is fully loaded (tuned...) which means I have already lost the warrantee at many levels and parts.

I don't mind installing it myself, but looking at BMWNav photos, I noticed that their module is made in Bulgaria, so it is not a BMW OEM... What I don't want is pay the thousand dollars so and few months later find out, that this I can't do and that I can't do... Etc.... For example, messaging/voice controlling, etc...

I am more likely would go the OEM route... Will ask them to sell me the BT kit + Combo, I will install it, they will recode it for me and I void the warrantee... Well see what they have to say...
On thing I know is these guys work by the book and they are not open minded at all....will see...

Plz keep me informed, I might start seeing a light at the end of the tunnel here!!!
Appreciate 0