View Single Post
      02-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Maaij
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4

SmartTOP for Z4 E89 experience and maybe a groupbuy?

Hi,

I just finished testing the Reinhold Cabrio-module. Right now I am testing the mods4cars SmartTOP module. Stefan from Mods4cars was kind enough to send me a test module to test it. I want to share my experience of the 2 difference modules so it's easier for you guys to make a choice between these modules.

Let's start with the Reinhold module:

The manual was very clear and the installation was easy to do, just make sure to take your time so you won't damage any parts of your car

After installation of the Reinhold module, I discovered a problem with the module:
1: After deep sleep (auto closed for >1 hour), the windows and roof will start to open after unlocking the car. This is a problem when it is raining or snowing (the seats will get wet).

This was a know problem. There are a lot of discussion of this module on the German Z4 E89 forum: http://www.zroadster.com/forum/bmw_z...verhalten.html
This problem should be fixed in Version V3. The solution was to disable the remote control of the windows by keyfob. The version I got was also version V3 but it didn't solve the problem on my car.

Reinhold told me to send the module back for a software update. The Reinhold module does not have a USB port to update the firmware like the SmartTOP. After fitted the module in the car I have to take everything out again to send it back for an update

The new update did not solved the problem and we decided to refund the money. Maybe there was something different of the Z4 from my country?

I must say the service from cabrio-module was great. Reinhold always give me a quick reply by mail and tried his best to getting it worked on my car. But unfortunately it did not worked right....

Then I was getting interested in the smartTOP module. The specifications/options looks very promising and I mailed mods4cars if I can get a module for testing. Stefan from mods4cars was happy to let me test it
After receiving the module I immediately fitted the module to test it.

The installation was the same compared tho the Reinhold version. It's very easy to do so don't be afraid to do it

You can find the manual here:
http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...ll_7_Z4/en.php

The best option of the SmartTOP module is the USB connection. This way you can update the firmware to add new functions or to solve some problems without deleting the module to send it back for an update!

You also can program the functions you like
http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...eration/en.php

After installing the SmartTOP, I also discovered a problem with this module:
1: Bad timing of the windows by opening and closing the roof.

After mailing to Stefan, he prepared a new software for me to solve the problem. After flashing the module the problems where gone! My module works 100% after the update
That's why I like the USB connection. This makes life a lot easier.

A few days ago Stefan mailed me of a new option of the smartTOP module to test it: The trunk access. People with the comfort package know what this option does. When the roof is down and you want to take something out in the trunk: Just press the unlock button to open the roof halfway so you have 100% access to your trunk. This is a very nice option

It's still in testing right now but it looks very promising.

The service is also very good from mods4cars. Communication by email is very fast and Stefan is very helpful to perfect this module.

My choice will be the smartTOP module:
+ Options like folding mirrors, Trunk access
+ USB port (Very big +)
+ Compatible for different cars

Are there people interested in a groupuy? Mods4cars are willing to give us a good price for the modules. More people = more discount
This module is compatible with: BMW 1 series (E88), BMW 3 series (E93), BMW 6 series (E64), BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) and Mini Convertible (R57)

Interested for a groupbuy:
1: clwwong
2: clydebmwz4
3: godius

Last edited by Maaij; 02-28-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0