View Single Post
      05-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #49
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Completed the side LCI sidemarker upgrade today. Considered the following;

1. Paint to match wheels - with a satin finish clear coat (too bland, no texture, nothing special, might as well leave them chrome - against red anyway IMO).
2. Brushed Aluminum wrap (too light)
3. Graphite colored carbon fiber wrap (a close 2nd - but seemed out of place)
4. Brushed Titanium wrap.

Used the old side marker as a test mule for different options and final selection.

Decided on the 3M "Brushed Titanium" Wrap. It is a shade or two darker than the wheels when they are clean and dust free, but it has a hint of metallic glitter to match the metallic glitter in the 296 wheel paint. Goes with my "Brushed Alum" interior trim. I like that it has a satinish finish, yet you can see the fau brush marks. Easy stuff to work with and the look is amazing. It's as close to looking like a piece of metal as possible and I'm not one to settle for close.

The LED light housing removal, from the chrome plastic housing, is a bit of a challenge. For anyone considering this or painting - you need 2 or 3 mini screw drivers (jewelers set is good) and about 3 hands. Lots of patience to not break the tabs retaining the light module. I'll take some disassembly photos when I do the left side.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's

Last edited by HerrK; 05-26-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0