Thread: Golf Tee Mod
View Single Post
      11-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Nobody's going to care if you show a link to another forum if somebody asks for proof. If you're skittish PM me. Several reasons I asked for your link(s) -

1. Yes, face it, people BS on forums. Not saying you BS, but anything is possible. You're a good sport and I appreciate you stepping up and providing some links.

2. Unless you have a forum group that’s really devoted to working on their own cars, 99 percent of forum links prove nothing about mechanical stuff because most people rely on their mechanics to take care of their cars and that's a good thing. Today, more than ever cars are like "black boxes" with all kinds of mystical things going on in there.

In principle, but not categorically, I believe people talk about hidden codes in the same way they talk about urban legends. It's "hidden" for the same reason Mel Gibson said in Conspiracy Theory when asked if he could prove it, he said, "No, that's the nature of a good conspiracy, you can't prove it."

3. The links you provided are informative, although I disagree with most of what they are saying:

a. I'll buy the solenoid getting stuck which is entirely possible, but I'm sure if he tinkered around it would work properly.

b. The car uses vacuum solenoids all over the place and without a sensor to verify operation, it has no way of knowing if the solenoid operated or not unless something else connected with it didn't operate that has a sensor. That muffler solenoid is at the end of the line with no other sensors or other devices. The solenoid operation would cause a very small, virtually unnoticeable change in vacuum pressure and then, virtually instantaneously, go back to normal. That’s happening all the time when you step on the gas and all over the place within the car’s normal vacuum system. The ECU can’t tell the difference.

On the other hand, if a person started the car before first blocking the vacuum line it’s possible the ECU would register a significant reduction in vacuum pressure and register a leak code but it wouldn’t know where it happened. It would be up to the mechanic to trace it out.

c. Gas mileage would be no different because the vacuum solenoid is opening and closing all the time while you are driving. So how’s leaving it open all the time going to change your gas mileage - except - for the myth that somebody started years ago that exhaust back pressure is a good thing. Look at any race car or talk to the team mechanic and ask him how much exhaust back pressure he likes to use and he'll look at you like you just got off the boat from Mars.

Thanks for providing the info.

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-20-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0