View Single Post
      09-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #25
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

It's late and I'm tired but I wanted to post a few photos I took. We spent some time still working on the silicone inlets and outlet. I'll just touch on a few things with the inlets. I had prototyped an aluminum bracket to hold the front tube. Barry took that, did up a CAD drawing and with the water jet cut his design from stainless steel. This mounts to a factory location and uses stainless steel, rubber covered loop clamps. The Burger filter is mounted to a 45 degree angle aluminum pipe, which is set deep enough in the tube that the rear clamp fasten overtop of that, providing a very stiff support.

Where the front inlet tube goes in front of the motor, between the serpentine belt assembly and the radiator fan, Barry made a simple stainless standoff which he then used a BMW torx screw to mount to an available threaded hole in the head. A bit hard to see, but one can view the rubber-coated loop clamp and the black Torx panhead on the stainless stand.

This photo is a bit difficult to see. The BMW factory installation of the intercooler is rather poor with a D6x20 screw. The thicker ER mount gives only allows a few threads into plastic with the factory screw - not cool. The kit should really come with proper mounting hardware, as it costs nothing. We took two fender washers and cut one side so we could increase the grab area of the screw. We then got rid of the D6x20 and used two stainless #12 screws which were about 1 1/2" long, giving 1" of thread in the plastic. This significantly strengthened the mount.

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 09-30-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0