05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #50
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Electric power steering - there's are good and bad between electric and hydraulic steering. If you have never driven hydraulic steering then then electric steering is ok to you but if you have driven it, electric steering seems unresponsive and you dont get the same feedback as hydraulic steering. Even M5 owners doesn't like their electric power steering. EPS is very old technology. It has been on s2000 since 2000.
I did not say if it was good or bad, I just said the Z4 got this new BMW technology before the 3-series. Including the drive mode selector which alters it. I owned a 330d with hydraulic power steering before the Z4 and before that I also owned a car with no power steering at all. I believe I am very aware what the steering feedback discussion is all about, but I was not trying to start one here. The new M5 has hydraulic power steering I think.

Quote:
N54T Engine - it came out in 2006 (335i had it), we got it in 2009 (3 years later)
Technically speaking the N54T is actually the 340hp version of the N54. There is no 306hp version of the N54T. And why is the N54T important then, if it was mainly a software-enabled boost upgrade? Because it helped the N54 beat the much newer and more powerful M50d engine at last year's engine of the year awards. And because then we can say the 1-series M coupe got its engine from a Z4 (even the radiator system was not the same).

Quote:
DCT - yes, available at the same time but it is the same DCT in M3. The software is different though. M3 came out in 2008.
Totally agree, and remember, even the new 3-series will not get this technology (yes yes, save for the new M3/M4)

Quote:
iDrive - it has been on 3 series since 2006. in 2008, they got an updated one. Z4 only got iDrive in 2009 (same iDrive that 3 series got a year before).
Ah so your point is that it was not offered with the previous Z4. Fair point!

Last edited by Asbjorn; 05-31-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0