View Single Post
      01-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

The numbers I posted where both on ESS tunes.

The 35i obviously was the stage 2 tune.

@teagueAMX, the comment about over boost. The 35is makes MORE POWER ALL THE TIME, PLUS over boost when needed. I think some people assume its 300hp, and the extra hp is only for a few seconds. No that is incorrect. It is more hp overall.

The whole point of breaking down each rpm was to show that the 35is power is wider and stronger. Yea sure the 35i has good peak numbers. But from 2000-5000 the 35is is stronger by a good amount, specially torque wise.

Lastly, the stage 3 numbers for 35i looks great. Just curious what has to be modded for that? Any intake, exhaust, etc?

Im glad Dinnan has warranty, but doesn't that tune, plus additional upgrades bring you to the 35is price range?

Btw, i agree with everyone in terms of the manual. I'll miss that but I'm hoping the better power band and torque will even it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
But why oh why? Both use the N54 hardware! Please remember that we can never compare charts from different dynos/cars/conditions. We can only compare before and after charts on the same car/dyno/day.

Please also remember that the ESS tune is also available for the 35is. And there is no way they lowered the boost at any RPM. Why would they tune the car to produce less torque and then try to sell that as a performance product?

There are two tunes for the 35i (stage 1 = 350hp and stage 2 = 390hp). For the 35is there is only one ESS tune (stage 1 which gives you +50hp or so. This is the same as stage 2 for 35i). This is because the 35is (without overboost) already produces similar torque as the 35i with ESS stage 1.

Again, because boost is increased, there is no way that ESS produces less torque at any RPM. I do not believe above numbers are comparable.

Here is the chart comparing 35is vs ESS on the same car/day/dyno (I assume).

http://www.esstuning.com/product_ima...55766_zoom.jpg

I am not sure if the 35is is running overboost in this chart. Maybe it is not. But there is no way that ESS is turning an 35is into a Honda Civic like you stated. This engine comes with two small turbos.They have very little lag, but even ESS cannot change the fact that they run out of air at higher RPMs.
Appreciate 0