06-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #79
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I got this silly tire argument too when I switched from 255 to 275 to 305 on my e93. I was spinning my tires with my power and needed more grip. I got wider and slightly larger diameter tires which did the trick. I did however have nay sayers saying I was loosing grip due to wider tires. Still can't understand that one. If you want a bigger contact patch for a track, lower tire pressures some. I bet lowering pressures on a 255 enough and you'll have more patch than a firm 305. But you can lower a 305 also and I dont do the track so lower pressures are out. I also got the stickiest compound that I could and still use it in the rain and get acceptable mileage. There were still guys arguing track or more aggressive tires but it's a daily driver and I average 800 miles a week. So think about all the parameters that affect you and again, how can you argue better tractiin with skinnier tires all things equal?
Everyone has their own opinions or know others that have done it. Tires do matter and its all about trying different combo's and finding which is the best tire for the job.

Not ever tire of the same size puts down the same contact patch which never made any sense to me but every manufacturer does their own thing. You can lower the tire pressure to optimize grip too. Thats the easiest way to gain grip. Finding that sweet spot for the air pressure but of course not going so low that you're tire will do more harm than good.

I keep my tires around 25 PSI.
Appreciate 0