View Single Post
      08-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi! You are correct! Believe it or not there is no easy way to release the handbrake if it is stuck on! there is a release procedure you described but basically the average motorist is stuffed.
The other issue about a rear DIY brake job is that the cars monitoring system does not know that new pads have been added as the cars release code has not been used, apparently , but not sure, the reason for this is that the motor drive travel is monitored probably so it does not overdrive into the disc when the brakes is off!!!!
I do not mean just resetting the Idrive to set the next replacement interval.
There is a brilliant article which identifies all the new changes for the E89 over the previous models and describes in detail all the operations including the Electric hand brake, roof mechanism etc. You can download as a PDF and store, makes a great reference document. It is on this site as a thread!!!!!

I enjoy doing basic maintenance and even bought a new set of rear pads, now stuffed as I do not have a coding machine. They are on sale for about £120 just for doing this job and nothing else. Only worth buying if the independents start charging a fortune......
Looks like I will have to go to an independent with the right equipment to do the rears but I will do the fronts. The same will be when I need to do the discs which is a long way off!!!

I have checked the E65 sites has they have had this system for years, and it is fitted to lots of other manufacturers,

Last edited by raven333; 08-07-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0