View Single Post
      12-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #91
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Many points here:

LCI looks alright, nothing major done there.

For a couple, it is a VERY practical car. It is my only car and my wife and I use it for everything and nothing is lacking. The only time I wished that I had another car was when I wanted to buy some large furniture. I dislike kids and so this is the perfect car pour moi. If you have little monsters, get a minivan.

To those saying that the Z4 is overpriced, yes, it is, that is, within the BMW range. I've always stated that I hate it when BMW uses the same freaking engine in less-expensive lines and yet the performance is better or the same as the Z, e.g. 135i, 1M. It's damn annoying. If they must use the same engine, at least put in better tweaks for the Z, which is significantly more expensive. We're getting ripped off there, I don't mind agreeing w/ some Z4-haters in this dept. Sure, the Z is more 'upscale' and looks better, etc, but it does tick me off a bit. Still, would I want to get a less-expensive BMW w/ similar performance to save a few (significant) bucks? Not really because the other cars don't really appeal to me.

However, outside of BMW, the car's really not that expensive compared to its peers. When I was cross-shopping the Z4, the Audi TTS was only a few thousand cheaper and it's only a 4-cyl and not as fast, so not worth the $ imho (btw, the TTRS came 1 yr too late, but was overpriced, had a huge waiting list, and the North Amer mkt got shortchanged because they only got the MT and not the DSG tranny, which was much better/quicker imho). The Boxster/Cayman were much more expensive (w/ Cayman spec'd similarly to the Z4, crazily almost $20K!!!) for what you got and not that good looking (pre-2013).
Appreciate 0