View Single Post
      04-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

The lousy respray was the first thing I noticed when I walked up to the car, so the salesman knew he had a problem and it was pretty easy to talk him down another $500 (especially since it was the same amount he had balked at in our phone negotiation and I gave up on!). However that was me, had it been my wife alone picking up the car, she would never have noticed the paint. Bear in mind though that our car had been on the road for 7k miles since it was originally CPO'd and I suspect the nose damage might have occurred under the second owner's watch and she just had it spot-painted on the fly or the dealer had it done poorly after it was traded in. Any decent CPO process would have never let this happen. A CARFAX report will not show every little bump and bruise; there was nothing on the one for our car that showed anything about front end paint work. I'm assuming you're close to the selling dealer? (Not many people are crazy enough to travel the distance we did to buy a used car!) If so, go there and perform a thorough inspection of the car. If you don't feel you're qualified to judge the paint work, bring along someone who is. And don't be afraid to ask them to put the car on a lift so you can check underneath for oil leaks or obvious signs of repair.
Appreciate 0