02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #41
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
idrive has free traffic info and is actually pretty good. I had an Audi Q5 on which you have to pay a monthly fee to get traffic info on the MMI and got me really pissed. I have a $100 Tomtom too and no it is not nearly as good as the idrive. It takes a long time to boot. It can take a little while to get a signal. It gets lost when I go underground or in a covered parking lot. It needs to be powered most of the time and more and more as the battery degrades. The maps are ugly. It hangs on my dashboard/window with wires all over. I did not get a Z4 to cheap out on things like this but again the only problem is indeed the map updates which have no business being as expensive as they are. You obviously have not tested the idrive nav...

PS: FYI I even had traffic on the onboard nav of my 2002 e46...
Given the price of the idrive, it's pretty much a ripoff. ...and, no, I'm not "cheap(ing) out" because I'm pretty sure our cars in Canada are about/at least 15% more expensive vs the US, despite virtual CAD/USD parity. Obviously, I can afford to get it but intentionally chose not to. Again, I just don't like to pay for an inferior product (esp looking at what you get for what you pay). I'm quite sure that the maps are more accurate on the TomTom/other aftermkt (esp if you pay the same price as the idrive's - obviously doubtful since don't think that there are any w/ crazy 4 figures). Why would you rely on the TomTom's battery when it can easily plug into the cig lighter slot? I don't have wires 'flying' all over the place, it's in an ideal location and the wires are tucked into the console. In fact, when using the idrive, the compartment is forced to be open and that blocks part of the driver's view (much wider than my GPS). All the points you raised aren't even about what matters/the crucials: are the map/traffic ftns better in the idrive? I really doubt it.

I prefer function over form. Defend your purchase because you prefer form over function, but don't say that it's better and makes more sense to purchase vs virtually any decent aftermkt GPS out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Good thing you didn't get it then

Doesn't mean others don't see the value in it.

I mean.. we all own the 10th worst selling vehicle in the US so we are good at seeing value in a place many others don't
Agreed LOL.
Appreciate 0