Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
As others w/ the nav have attested to, it *is* severely lacking. My <$100 TomTom has free lifetime map updates *and* traffic...does idrive even have traffic? There are constant other updates besides the periodic major map updates. It is far superior to the idrive's and it isn't even anywhere near top-of-the-line for aftermkt GPSs.

Non-idrive owners also can use the phone handsfree.

I don't care about resale value because I don't care about the next owner and plan on owning this car for most of its life if not all. I just don't like getting ripped off w/ an inferior product for a 'superior' price.
idrive has free traffic info and is actually pretty good. I had an Audi Q5 on which you have to pay a monthly fee to get traffic info on the MMI and got me really pissed. I have a $100 Tomtom too and no it is not nearly as good as the idrive. It takes a long time to boot. It can take a little while to get a signal. It gets lost when I go underground or in a covered parking lot. It needs to be powered most of the time and more and more as the battery degrades. The maps are ugly. It hangs on my dashboard/window with wires all over. I did not get a Z4 to cheap out on things like this but again the only problem is indeed the map updates which have no business being as expensive as they are. You obviously have not tested the idrive nav...

PS: FYI I even had traffic on the onboard nav of my 2002 e46...