Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
So idrive has the harddrive and visual PDC, all of the other features can be done w/o it. I guess if one relies upon PDC, then the visual is a good feature (but there's no backup cam, just graphics?); harddrive is if you must have your whole music library w/ you, but any decent ipod should already store a lot already.

Again, I realize that idrive is not just a nav, my sole pt is that the nav is very lacking and sub-std for the price yet way more costly to any half-decent aftermkt GPS, so that would negate my decision to get it because that is the main feature in the integrated sys of idrive.
The nav is expensive and the map updates even more outrageously priced. Yet, somehow I would not buy my car without it. Call me a sucker but the look and feel of the car is so different with it. And even if I don't use the navigation function that often, I do use the map a lot and I like not to have to hold my phone in my hand or having an extra ugly thing hanging off of my windshield.
I don't think the Nav is lacking. It works very well and is equivalent to any aftermarket unit. (once you have the maps updated that is). I am actually finding it easier to use than some of the ones I tested. It has the advantage of being integrated so it can estimate where you are even when you lose the satellite signal etc...
When you look at the added value it ads to resale, I think it is worth it.