02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Hard drive for music, visual PDC, radio favorites, phone book, ... Just is a very nice interface for music/radio and some of the other tech gadgets. If you have multiple drivers and / or multiple phones it is easier to administer all that and update the phone software (drivers?) yourself when you get a new phone. I am frankly not sure what exactly of the above you could do without iDrive...

I use iDrive a lot for things other than navigation.

I do realize that others may not care about these things; just saying that iDrive is more than just a navigation system.
So idrive has the harddrive and visual PDC, all of the other features can be done w/o it. I guess if one relies upon PDC, then the visual is a good feature (but there's no backup cam, just graphics?); harddrive is if you must have your whole music library w/ you, but any decent ipod should already store a lot already.

Again, I realize that idrive is not just a nav, my sole pt is that the nav is very lacking and sub-std for the price yet way more costly to any half-decent aftermkt GPS, so that would negate my decision to get it because that is the main feature in the integrated sys of idrive.
Appreciate 0