View Single Post
      02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Thanks for your post Asbjørn.

I'm planning to replace my runflats with some Michelin PSS as soon as they wear down more as I only have about 10k miles on my car. A couple of track runs will surely speed up my replacement so I won't have to put up with the runflats for too long.

I asked the same questions as you before I actually tried tracking. I didn't understand why anyone would go in circles, burn tires, put in expensive mods, and risk damaging their cars just for the sake of driving fast around the track. It just seems wasteful and ecologically unsound doing so.

That mindset all changed when I started taking track lessons from a professional track driver and realized it's not about the speed but about becoming an overall better daily driver when we're not on the track.

Tracking a car isn't only about driving fast, but so much more. It's about learning to take the correct lines through corners, brake/accelerate timing, control of our cars and learning it's limits that allows us to basically drive well and safely.

When we do all the above correctly, that's where safe speed comes from, not reckless speed flooring the pedal to the metal just to beat the clock. I baby my Z4 so no intentions of pushing my Z too hard on track days. The progressive mods I plan to do is so that it becomes a better car as I become a better driver.

Making the Z4 a decent track car certainly makes it a much more competent car on the street right? Also, the track allows me to indulge in some spirited driving so that I don't have to on public roads.

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 02-13-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1