04-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #41
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Not to mention... while I love my Z and I think it definitely is more eye-catching than any Porsche can be (maybe not the GT3 or the Turbo S in orange or Speed Yellow...) but with a sticker of 70k (not even for the iS) you can easily jump into a Cayman or Boxster S which is a lot more car for the price than the Z. Or, if you are into more luxury cruising, almost a base 911.
Do we actually know if sales of SLKs and Boxters have been going up during the same period? I mean globally? Could it not be that the entire market for roadsters have been declining and the fact that the new Z4 hit markets during a global financial crisis?

In China a 35i is around 850.000rmb including taxes. A boxter S is 1,100,000 and a 911 base model is 1,600,000rmb. That is in part because most imported cars in China come with a load of options preselected. (Btw The conversion rate is 1000 rmb = 161 usd)

Anyway, even if the price was actually the same, then try and put a tune and some PSS tires on the Z4 and look at it as a total package. I would say the Z4 has very little to be ashamed of next to any of those P cars. It might still be over-priced compared to something like a 1M, but then that isn't a roadster. I don't think the Boxter is either, because it is center-engined (and butt-heavy). It's certainly never a coupe. What it is, is a car from what used to be the most profitable car company in the world... just saying...
Appreciate 0