View Single Post
      09-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHank View Post
Just because I don't really know, when you say "clutch dump" it's going from no clutch to full clutch without hesitation? Like getting the motor up to 4k, and just totally release the clutch and hold on? Or is there more finesse to it? The other poster said something about "feathering" which I also don't understand. Thanks.

Feathering the clutch is basically letting the clutch slip a little while engaging. You do it normally every time you drive a maual to different levels depending on the condions - hill, rain, reverse.

Feathering the clutch on a 4K dump will not do wonders for the clutch life. Then again an immediate release or "Dump" at 4K will not do much for the clutch or tire life either.

This is equally true, clutch and tire life, for the DCT and launch control.

If you want to play (repeatedly), eventually you are going to pay. If you're old enough to remember the Fram oil filter commercial "Pay me now or pay me later"

or

TANSTAAFL - "There anin't no such thing as a free lunch" or in this case Launch.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0