teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Really?

I'm even amazed, number 1, that anyone would compare this car to a Boxster (much less an S). The E89 is a much better comparison for a Lexus SC430 or Mercedes SLK.

Number 2, there are way more differences than just the LSD. The E86 ///M is a track car, so it also happens to do canyon carving well. But put the E89 on a highly technical road course and then try to compare it (fully modded) to an E86 ///M and you'll see that there really is zero comparison between the two in terms of actual performance.
If you look closely, you’d see that apart from the Z4 M steering rack, the e85 and e89 suspension systems are very similar. The e89 35i is heaver than the M due to the convertible hardtop and the N54 TT engine, but apart from that it’s all a matter of choices BMW made based on their market assessment. It’s pretty clear what the public wanted.

If a person wants a harder track-like ride and handling characteristics, suspension mods are easy. Getting more horses from the n54 is easier than the s54. IMHO, all of this boils down to more possibilities from the e89.

Sure, it’d be great to see BMW slap a S65 M3 v8, an M certified DCT, stiffer stabilizers and dampers in the e89. Z4 M fan disappointment that an M version is not immediately forthcoming is understandable. On the other hand, the e89 Z4 is not like driving a Barcalounger, either, as some would suggest. I think you’re being a little unfair by comparing it to a Lexus toupee flipper designed for the slow mo geriatric set.
Appreciate 0