View Single Post
      05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I know nothing about tinted windows: how exactly is it put on and will it remain 'invisible' w/o and bubbles, blemishes, etc? Also, does it really block out harmful UV light or just provides shade and that's it? What parts can be tinted, all the windows should they all use the same percentage? Thx.

The film has a very minimal water based adhesive. This allows the installer to work out the air bubbles and for the film to securely adhere once it dries. The drying process may take up to 5-7 days and you should minimize window movement during this period. No interior window washing for a couple of weeks. The minor door opening/window actuation is not usually a concern. Film can be scratched - my wifes friend scratched her's sitting in the passenger seat with the diamond ring, while reaching over her shoulder for the seat belt. It is relatively scracth resistant in normal use.

A good installer will leave minimal air/dust bubbles but undoubtly there will be a few. It is almost impossible to get the film to lay perfectly flat around the factory glass markings and edge dots. If you're like me or are anal retitive about minor imperfections this will likely be annoying to you.

Ceramic is state of the art film incorporating Titanium Nitride nano particles within the film's construction (now does that sound high tech or what), to selectively filter the wavelength of the incoming light. Ceramic films are efficient heat blockers and do not contain any metals.

Most modern films are polyester based and will easily last +7 yrs without degradation. Most installers provide a lifetime guarantee although there is no guarantee they will be in business in 2-3 yrs. Yes they are UV blockers ~99%.

Your should check your province laws that may dictate the allowable percentage.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0