View Single Post
      06-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

The lights are the same as the E92. I tried lots of different bulbs and no matter what they promise they all end up looking dim in the daylight and rice at night.

One issue I found with most of the LED solutions is that they tend to either cause radio interference, flicker, cause bulb faults or even worse cause excessive heat in the light housing! The LuX bulbs are no different. Don't let the massive price-tag fool you.

The only way you can get the LCI style rings is to physically change the lights to LCI lights or pay someone to open the housing up and replace the optical rings with LEDs.

I found a solution that not only costs very little but retains the OEM appearance. Brighter and whiter than stock but a softer light that the LEDs. I've done it on my E89 now and it's such an improvement over stock.
You either need some MTEC H8 bulbs or Arc Angels to replace the OEM H8 bulbs. These are basically just brighter bulbs with a whiter light output and look pretty good when only the DRL lights are on. As soon as the main lights are switched on the car drops the voltage of the bulbs down to 5v, thus making the bulbs look dim and orange again!

To get around this issue you need to re-code your car so that the ring lights are running at a higher voltage. This can be done with NCS Expert if you are handy with BMW coding or with a iPhone/Android app called 'BMWhat' which costs around £40 and a £10 bluetooth/wifi dongle.

There's 3 voltage settings for the ring lights. DRL mode, sidelight mode and main-beam mode. I upped all three of mine to 14v. I think the stock voltage is around 12v for DRL and sidelight mode and 5v for main-beam mode.

I would upload some pictures but I don't have any with the lights on. I'll have to remember to take some on the weekend so you can judge for yourself.

The bonus of buying the app is that you can code all sorts of other little changes to the car and check and reset fault codes.

Last edited by CarAbuser; 06-30-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0