08-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #48
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
We need to run 2 bathrooms off it. The issue was the electric demands of a tankless heater with enough capacity to meet the needs of a large air jet tub (plus electric demands of tub) couldn't be met with our existing panel. The meter is right outside the bathroom, which is on the opposite end of the house from the panel in the garage. The cost of running another line from the meter to a new panel in the garage and then back to the bathroom was outrageous. So we'd have to add a new panel for just the bathroom outside near the meter. Could be done and cheaper than going from meter to panel and back, but still a big investment in electric. If we were doing something else where we could leverage the gas tank investment maybe that would be feasible, but we aren't, and I don't want to add another project to justify the tank.

When the total budget for the bathroom pushed past 10% of the home's value we had to make some decisions and just decided everything else was more important than the tub, which was the real driver of the heater. It will still be a great bathroom, now with more storage space and lower budget, but no tub. Life goes on.
Makes sense. Personally I don't see the benefit of a huge tub compared to the cost. The amount of time to fill it, cost to fill it and the likelyhood that someone in our family will actually use it make it unlikely we will ever spend the money for one.

Taking a bath is likely an hour long process? I will never do it.

Last edited by David70; 08-12-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0