View Single Post
      01-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #25
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
I haven't seen or heard a new M3 in several months, but don't see many Z4's either. For me, a car has to exciting to drive, and this car has lost some of it's fun factor for me. Keep in mind I drive 100 miles on the interstate every day at 80+ mph, so putting the top down really isn't much fun. I love to drive the car around town especially with the top down. There is nothing wrong with the Z4, don't get me wrong. Just the V8 rumble and the intake sound in the ISF above 3600 rpms is just pure music to my ears, and the Z4 just doesn't make music. I have the exhaust flap disabled (golf tee mod) on my car too, so it's open all the time, which sounds better but still boring. I just need another V8 and the M3 should do the trick. Just have to wait for some finance incentives.

You are right, Shelby's and Vipers have their place, they don't make good daily drivers. My wife keeps telling me to buy a beater to drive back and forth to work, but that means 10 hours a week in a beater. Doesn't sound good to me. If I had the funds for a third car (and a third garage), that would be the best solution for me. I could drive the Shelby/Viper on the weekends but still have a nice car for the commute. Can't really swing three nice cars right now.
My beater right now is a 08 Honda Civic EX. And when the weather is great I don't ride the Z4 I usually ride my sportbikes.

100 miles...I can see how that can get tiring over and over again, but man the M3 is like 14mpg and 20mpg on the hwy. 5 gallons used on one trip to and from work.

I think its $3.13/gallon here in the Bay Area right now. 09 M3 is 16.6 fuel tank capacity. Fill up after every 2 1/2 days? Sounds like my 95 mustang cobra I commuted with ~80 daily miles.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth as I worked hard to get where I am so considering that the M3 can depreciate with mileage (I think more than a Z4 as its a "M" car?) the wear and tear (not talking about mileage, but more from rock chips, paint blemishes, etc for 100 mile daily commute), cost on fuel...that wouldn't be reasonable to me.

And if I had to do a 100 mile commute on my Z4 I wouldn't buy it either.

So my buddy does use his M3 to commute and its his only car. I didn't hear him complain, but his commute is around ~50 miles daily.

And my friend who has the white ISF doesn't even drive it to work, only if weather conditions are bad (rain). He rides his sportbike to save on fuel cost. He goes into work 3 times a week, but its 150 mile commute.
Appreciate 0