01-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
With all due respect, I'm not sure you understand what the viscosity numbers mean. The first number is the oil's maximum viscosity and flow at a cold temperature (at start up). The second number is the maximum viscosity and flow at hot temperatures (normal operating temps). This means that 0W-40 is thinner at start up for better flow when it's cold and thicker at high temps for better wear protection compared to 5W-30. Does it really make a difference? I doubt it but that's what I use.
I have tried both in the past and the 5w operated quieter and smoother at operating temp. it fills your bearings better. Yes, I know that the 5/0W stands for its flow on start up.

but a 0W is overall thinner then a 5w. theres no magical chemistry at play here, an overall thinner oil will not protect your engine as well as a thicker one would. if the W weight only applies for cold weather, why is there such a big difference between the two, *even at operating temp*

Like i told the other guy, I strongly suggest you read up on the north american CAFE Requirements. you will note that ONLY north american spec'ed engines, and not a single other place in the world requires a 0w oil. even russia, with its frigid temperatures still spec's a 5w.

your engine isnt going to be running cold forever. I am simply giving you a heads up because BMW's have looser bearing clearances (to run thicker oil and thus therefore protect critical parts like rod bearings better) and also control oil temperature more effectively.

http://syntheticperformanceoil.com/s...es/5w20oil.php

if you are interested in learning more about the CAFE requirements, here is a great starter link.
Appreciate 0