dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Canon 500mm f/4.0 L IS II - A short review

I finally replaced my Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM with the Series II version of the lens. I'd borrowed one from Canon Professional Services back in 2012, but I used it mostly with a 1D X body that I'd also borrowed from CPS. I knew right off that I had to have the 1.5-lbs weight savings and the improved IS that allowed me to hand hold a 1000mm moon shot at 1/40-sec.

What I didn't see in those images was a major improvement in image quality compared to my Series I version. Maybe it was because I was using an unfamiliar body. When I received my Series II version, I'd been using my Series I lens for between 10,000 and 20,000 shots on my Canon 7D MkII body. I thought that my results had been very good, but the Contrast and Colors from the Series II noticeably POPPED when I made the switch. I simply had not thought that much improvement was possible.

I shoot mainly hand-held birds and wildlife, so the stunning IQ of the 500/f4 II combined with the small pixel-pitch of the 7D2 is giving me eye popping fur and feather details. Contrast and color are perfect and it doesn't seem to matter what aperture that I use. (I used to notice a significant improvement going to f/8.0 with my Series I, but now it doesn't seem to matter at all, other than DOF changes). People using bodies with full-frame sensors may want to consider the 600mm II.

AF is fast and accurate. I mostly use single-point AF with AI Servo mode engaged. I occasionally turn on the single-point expanded mode, but find all the modes with more AF points inaccurate. Those modes increase the odds of focusing on a wing or the tail, instead of the eye and are totally unusable if there's a contrasty background.

I paid $8,530, including shipping and all fees, from Camera Canada, which I highly recommend. B&H, which I use a lot, was showing $9,499 when I ordered and paid via PayPal. CC charged me the exact exchange rate, with no monkey business, trying to screw me slightly with a less favorable exchange rate. I ordered on Monday and received my lens by Friday.

It is expensive. Used Series I lenses still sell for $5,500, so they tend to hold their value. You could by a complete 7D2/Tammy 150-600mm kit for the price difference and have money left over. There is a learning curve to shooting these big lenses, so I really wouldn't recommend one to a noob, unless money is simply no concern. Whether buying new or used, you can think of these super-telephoto lenses as investments.

Dave