View Single Post
      04-03-2024, 02:04 PM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Most popular is MHD flashing software on n54...
Dont know about the current situation, but they did update their maps regularly... making them better with each iteration...
Also you get an upgrade tree and all the maps for bolt on upgrades... also you can flash car back to stock and so on...

maps are set in stages and each stage has maps for different fuels 91 or 93 octane in us or 95/98 RON in europe... better fuel has a bit more aggressive map...

stage 1 is for stock cars
stage 1+ is for cars with upgraded intercooler and stock downpipes with cats...
stage 2 is for cars with stock intercooler and catless downpipes...
stage 2+ is for cars with both upgraded intercooler and catless downpipes...

supporting mods:
aluminum chargepipe that replaces the stock plastic one... plastic one can crack... though ive had stage 1 for years and stage1+ for half a year or more... and my stock chargepipe has been fine...

Next supporting mod would be air intakes... dual cones or some other, doesnt matter... point is to make turbos job easier with the less restrictive airbox system and allow more air in...

From there you can upgrade inlet pipes from airfilters to turbos to less restrictive silicon pipes. This does essentialy the same as intake upgrade... better less restrictive airflow to the turbos...

outlets do the same but for the pipe from turbos to the intercooler...

Inlets and outlets isnt really necessary... its an option when you have already upgraded everything else and on stage 2+ map already...

I do recommend changing out stock intercooler with a better one... even on stage 1, that says that it doesnt need it...
on stage 1 map in warmer weather you can do one or maybe 2 pulls that feel good... after those your intercooler is already heatsoaked and intake air temps get high... this results in ecu pulling timing and power... so you have to wait for the intercooler to cool down and then you have full power again for a pull or two... you would always feel how your car moves much better in colder night weather and not as well on warmer sunny summer days...

With upgraded intercooler this doesnt happen as much , if at all... and you have more consistent power all the time... even cheap ones are better than stock IC.

MHD app also lets you monitor engine parameters on a gauge display, read and delete engine codes , reset adaptations... datalog... and so on...
Makes diagnosing and troubleshooting alot more easier...

I would not use some universal chipping service that installs it and then you dont have any way to reverse it... for troubleshooting and so on...

also i would not use JB4 as it doesnt change ecu programming. It is essentially a box you install in the wiring loom that fools the ecu by falsifing data and feeding it to the ecu...
A proper remapping of the ecu is better IMHO.

Also as MHD is very popular, then there is alot of information online, on forums and many users that can help you out if you have issues...
with some unknown performance box you will essentialy have only the manufacturers support email to help you... be lucky if its good...often its not...

I myself use COBB that is very similar to MHD... Cobb is older... havent done any updates to its maps for a long time now. Isnt as complex as MHD and so on but does do the same essential job as mhd.. same stages system´with maps for different fuels and throttle pedal settings..
I got it more than 6 years ago... back then MHD was a new thing, not as proven solution as it is now. Also i happened to get my Cobb Accessport used for cheap on ebay.. just have to make sure its totally uninstalled from previous car and is unlocked... and back then mhd was android only... now i think it has apple support aswell, so you can use it on iphones too now...

Also before you tune it... i recommend to change spark plugs an coilpacks out.. if you havent done them recently... Tunes demand more from them and its common to have issues with them after installing a tune...

Last edited by KennyP; 04-03-2024 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
B21165.00