View Single Post
      08-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Well today got fed up of the noise, went to local dealer where i was told it would cost me £100 for them to investigate, if found not to be approved warranty fault.

So i jacked up the vehicle and had a look. Within a minute i grasped a drive shaft to the right wheel and it would slide laterally along its length about 3/4 inch and bang one way against wheel hub then bang the other way against inside of the differential!
I've never come across a design like this before, usually one end or both are tied via a cv joint. This seems to use a splined joint each end which is free to float and bang at either end.

The noise sounds right.
Then went for a test run. Drove car and then i swerved or s turned, this seemed to centre the shafts so no noise at speed in a straight line and turning at speed. But when i slowed down to turn through 90 degrees such as normal junction a knock would occur, then on next opposite turn another knock. I think the difference in wheel rotation is throwing one or other shaft against the wheel hub or diff. The car as done 30k, the shaft gaiters seem very thin. I wonder if now they have become soft through wear they used to act as dampers but now allow the shafts to float and bang.

I can see me having a fight to get these fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0