View Single Post
      02-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #62
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

So... I don't want to get too excited.. in case I'm wrong. But I think I found the noise!

After some remedial work, I still get it, very slightly, on very rough bumps, but there's definitely an improvement... I just don't want to get too excited about it in case I'm wrong and something else has caused it to go quiet, like temperature changes.

In any event, it appears that part no. 3 below may be the cause. After tightening all of the bolts on this part (there are many of them on the underside), the sound appears to have diminished a lot. I intend to take this part off at the weekend when the weather improves and both clean and lubricate any contact surfaces in the hope that I'm right and further work to it will remove any sound at all. Here's hoping. I believe the reason this part may be making noise is that it appears to be subject to outside water/dirt ingress. With the weight of the roof upon it, this is causing the loud cracking noises. Its my hope that cleaning and lubrication will not only silence it now but for a good while to come.

edit: I thought I'd look at this after reading that others had the entire buffer section (all parts below) replaced and this resolved their issues. So as a process of elimination, the first and easiest thing to try was to simply tighten any fixings.

Appreciate 1