View Single Post
      07-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
[DT]
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Shopping) Z4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
Yes it was very easy to install. ESS sends you a handheld interface unit and a cable that plugs into a socket located inside the car. You download a software update, then record the OEM ECU program onto the unit and backup onto your computer for future use. Send them the OEM file via email and a few hours later they send you the MOD ECU program.
Ahh, they use the factory tune for a starting point - they take your program, patch it, and reload it. I suspect it must have a key that and/or some kind of cipher that authorizes the program, that's tested during startup, interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
I compared the JB4 to the ESS system and ultimately it was the simplicity of the ESS that won me over. No hardware to install, adapt or malfunction.
The ease of install/uninstall is very compelling, even with the cheaper JB pricing and the extra features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakePlease View Post
Wow, you mean with this you can ultimately get an extra 100HP for under $1k? That's amazing!
Yeah, factory FI is always slick for adding some HP. Tune, a little exhaust work, so many FI cars can pick up 75-100+ HP. It's one of the things that makes the N5x powered BMWs so interesting!
Appreciate 0