10-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I don't think the person who wrote the article was dissing the dct transmission, nor am I. It is just that the six speed is more fun to drive. I was reallly going for the new technology and would not order my car until I found one to test drive. I was certain I was going to order my car with the dct transmission. I was coming from driving manuals all my life and was ready for a change. It just didn't do it for me. As I have preiviously stated, if you were accustomed to driving automatics, the dct would more than satisfy. I find that the six speed manual is more fun to drive and I knew that once the novelty of the dct wore off, had I ordered it with that configuration, I would be missing the manual. I am all for technology, but in this case the dct still seemed more like an automatic in my opinion. I think it is great, but just not for everyone and I just felt that the author of that article hit the nail on the head when he compared the manual to the other transmissions.
I test drove both, and the DCT was more fun to drive than the manual, so I purchased the Z4 with that transmission. I had driven manuals for the past 12 years. I feel I made the absolute right decision. The DCT is not a "novelty" where the enjoyment will wear off. I enjoy the option to either shift on my own or have the transmission do it for me. A choice you never get with the manual. It is nothing like an automatic or even a manumatic/steptronic. Totally different.
Appreciate 0